Thursday, 3 May 2012

Handling Pressure

Most of us encounter high-pressure situations regularly. How many jobs these days don't involve an element of pressure? Most advice seems to be about how to handle pressure, rather than avoid it. I'm all for limiting pressure (trying not to take on too much etc.) but no one can completely escape it's grip. So it is a good idea to learn how to cope with pressured situations.

I've just completed a BBC test - with Michael Johnson - that showed me the extent of my pressure-handling techniques, and suggested a few more. It was quite fun, so why not give it a go?


Anyway, the results were interesting:
Consistency - MEDIUM (I perform with a reasonable degree of consistency under pressure.)
Improvement - HIGH (I learn effectively from past experiences.)
Efficiency - HIGH (I know how to focus on my goals.)

My optimum mood is happiness - I perform better when I'm in a good mood, so think happy thoughts!
Anxiety might help as well though.

I am less likely to suppress negative emotions and more likely to reappraise them.

And now I've got Under Pressure by Queen in my head, which will be fine until it morphs into Ice Ice Baby.

No comments: