Tuesday, 14 June 2011

Newfrontiers

A quick search of this blog confirms my suspicion that, no, I have never published a post about Newfrontiers. The word "Newfrontiers" only appears in this post about Newday. The lack of coverage might seem surprising, considering I've been in the movement for the majority of my life. However, despite the absence of contributions from myself, you will probably not run out of things to read about Newfrontiers on the blogosphere.

Notable posts for me have been...
Phil's reasons why he's happy to be a leader in Newfrontiers, and Dave's similar list. Both guys subsequently wrote a post titled "Newfrontiers Weaknesses?" - Phil's here, Dave's here.

Terry Virgo is currently posting a series of videos on Newfrontiers vision and values.

And then there are the anti-Newfrontiers rants that sporadically appear, none of which I would call 'notable'. Hostility towards the movement usually stems from issues about gender, and while I won't dismiss any genuine concerns, nor claim that Newfrontiers is without flaw, it is a great movement to be in.

My reasons won't be much different to Phil and Dave's:
- Commitment to plant and grow churches
- Preaching the gospel
- Teaching the Bible
- Serving the community
- Being a family
- Working with the poor and needy
- Valuing the call of God
- Emphasising the work of the Holy Spirit
- (plus Paul Oakley, Stuart Townend and Phatfish - and that's just one church!)

There's a lot in there to be happy about.

3 comments:

DaveW said...

"There's a lot in there to be happy about."

Yep, lucky you are male.

Phil Whittall said...

Dave, you should choose your words more carefully. You seem to be suggesting that a woman wouldn't be happy about

- Commitment to plant and grow churches
- Preaching the gospel
- Teaching the Bible
- Serving the community
- Being a family
- Working with the poor and needy
- Valuing the call of God
- Emphasising the work of the Holy Spirit

Which is odd for an egalitarian.

DaveW said...

Phil,

I think that anyone who knows me or has read what I have written is unlikely to understand me that way :-)