Monday, 17 January 2011

YFC Staff Conference 2011

This is the fourth time I've been, and the third time I've blogged about a Youth for Christ Conference. YFC employees and volunteers are an interesting bunch, and there's a large portion of both the country and the church represented. There aren't many occasions when I'm surrounded by so many people who are passionate about Jesus and His gospel, so they are usually fantastic events.

This year it started miserably though as I had a bug and was ill on the first night. The hotel rang my room to inform me that I was quarantined for the next 24 hours. So I spent the Tuesday sleeping and reading The Iliad.

After that things picked up a lot. The worship times were great, and speakers were inspired (by God, hopefully). In fact, Steve Brady was possibly one of the best speakers I've heard, and not just because he does funny accents.

I was challenged on a number of levels, which I can summarise in a few questions:
- How can we make evangelism more experiential in order to engage young people?
- How can I make more time for Jesus in my own life?
- Am I remembering my brothers and sisters who are being persecuted?
- How should YFC relate to the church?

I also delivered a 3 minute talk myself on how we talk about Jesus.

So we all left with lots to think about. The hard part is actually putting stuff into action instead of letting it become part of the eternal mulling-over soup.

No comments: