Wednesday, 12 January 2011

Lexiblography

I enjoy language, and I'm actually looking forward to starting my "English Grammar in Context" course. So when I'm reading various blogs I don't just think about what they're saying but how they're saying it. Tim Keller uses a couple of words here which I just love the sound of:

Heterodox - sounds like a society for straight medical practitioners, but just means not orthodox. Unsurprising, but I still had to look it up.

Unction - even Keller put it in "inverted commas" so it must be a strange word. He calls it "a sense of God's presence" which is probably the Christian definition. A web dictionary defines it as "The act of anointing as part of a religious, ceremonial, or healing ritual." Apparently it's also the collective noun for a group of undertakers.

No comments: