One of the things that seems to deter people from reading the Bible are those genealogies of hard-to-pronounce names that pop up every so often. Whilst I can't say they are my favourite part of scripture, I do enjoy searching through them for names that are slightly odd. It's a similar hobby to poring over maps looking for funny place names. Everyone does that, right?
Anyway, here are some of my favourite Bible names:
- Maher-Shalal-Hash-Baz (Is 8:3)
- Brothers Uz and Buz (Gen 22:21)
- Joshbekashah (1 Chron 25:4)
- Brothers Muppim, Huppim and Ard (Gen 46:21)
- Everyone loves Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego (Dan 2:49)
- Zadok (2 Sam 15:24)
- Lot (Gen 12:4)
- Nimrod (Gen 10:8)
Can you think of any more?