Monday, 17 May 2010

The Good Book

I hate that phrase, partly to do with the understatement, but mostly because of the kind of people that say it. Like Ned Flanders.

But it's strange how often I have to remind myself that the Bible is a good book, not a rubbish one that just needs to be dealt with like chemisty revision. Too often I fall into the trap of seeing the Bible as 'required reading' and other books are much more exciting (I'm reading Wild at Heart at the moment, will let you know how it goes).

The result is that I sometimes read the Bible with low expectations, and a bad attitude. But then I come across something amazing, that gets me excited all over again. Last week it was Jehoshophat's prayer from 2 Chronicles 19 (context = Jehoshophat, king of Judah is about to be attacked by a vast army of Moabites, Ammonites and Meunites). The bit that struck me was his closing line:

"We do not know what to do, but our eyes are on you." (ESV)

But you should read the whole story, as it's great.

And then you should read the whole Bible, as it's great.

And so should I.

No comments: