Thursday, 8 April 2010

Election research

Unlike some people, I'm not a huge fan of politics. I find some of it interesting, but I never learned enough to really engage with all the policy debates and discussions about 'reform' and so on.

I used to think deciding who to vote for was a simple case of finding out whether you were 'left', 'right' or 'in the middle', and then supporting the corresponding party. This year I have decided to do at least a modicum of research before I cast my vote. So I started today by checking out some party websites.

The Tory website looks the coolest. I wish I could make my decision based on that.

Labour are trying to be cool, by having a live Twitter feed on theirs.

The Lib Dems have entirely copied Somerfield's colour scheme, much to my queasiness.

I knew, however, that to make an informed decision I should read some policies. Now, I have some funny ideas about what a policy document should be like. I think that it should say (briefly?):
- What your values are
- What you aim to achieve
- How you will achieve it
I do not think that a policy document should:
- Spend paragraphs talking about things you did in the last decade
- Contain copious references to the inadequacies of your rival

But then, I wish all policies were like the Monster Raving Looney Party's, who aim to "Make it illegal for super heroes to use their powers for evil" and "ban all terrorists from having beards as they look scary."

I also had a quick gander at the Christian Party, who have chosen a rather sumptuous shade of plum for their website.

The BNP are trying to be more acceptable, but still not cutting the English mustard.

Maybe I should have started earlier.

3 comments:

Green Christian said...

I notice you've not checked out the Green Party website (or, indeed, UKIP). The chances are that one or both parties are standing in your constituency.

THE OLD GEEZER said...

I enjoyed looking over your blog. I found your profile on another blog I follow and I added myself to follow you. You are more than welcome to visit my blog and become a follower if you want to. If I have posted this on your blog before please forgive me. Sometimes it ain't easy being an Old Geezer.

God Bless You, Ron

Andy said...

Yeah, I'll have a look at Green and UKIP too at some point. It's all a bit much to take in at once.

Old Geezer, thanks for stopping by. I'll peruse your blog in the near future.