Monday, 8 March 2010

So I watched Avatar on Saturday...

I was a bit late in getting round to it. So late, in fact, that my local cinema had stopped showing the 3D version, but I found that it was pretty impressive in 2D anyway.

Avatar is the film that Mark Driscoll calls "new age, satanic, demonic paganism".

I can see where he's coming from, but don't think I would make the same judgments about a film that is primarily fictional entertainment. I would say that the ideology presented in the film has it's roots in new age philosophy, and is therefore a satanic philosophy. But it's fiction, so is that ok?

Well, even in fiction the audience is invited to cast judgments on the moral actions of others. We are encouraged to label 'good guys' and 'bad guys' by their behaviour, and the whole thing is usually set up so that we feel morally and emotionally satisfied at the end. So, when we the audience are encouraged to support the actions of people who's motivation is based on real-world anti-gospel ideas should we (Christians) feel comfortable? Probably not.

That means that we also shouldn't feel comfortable watching James Bond, Ocean's 11, Harry Potter etc. I'm not saying we can't enjoy them - films usually boil down to good vs evil so we can enjoy the basic truth that good triumphs in the end. But we also need to ask, "what ideology is the director asking me to sympathise with? Can I, as a Christian, legitimately lend my support to it?"

I didn't enjoy King Kong because I could not sympathise with a giant murderous ape.

No comments: