Sunday, 22 November 2009

Christian goals

I am trying to be more like Christ, as I believe that is the calling of every Christian. However, I am not very good at imitating Jesus, and I have found that wearing a WWJD wristband does not, in itself, help a great deal. Targets are more helpful, but I find that if I stop to think for too long I come up with a whopping list of Christian goals I need to aim for. Like;

Be more patient
Be more caring
Give more money away
Care less about my image
Care less about possessions
Care more about the poor
Have more time for people
Appreciate children more
Be less sarcastic
Pray more
Waste less time
and it goes on...

So, sometimes I get a bit discouraged when I think about how little progress I am making, and whether I can invent a strategy that will help me achieve all these (and before you say "it's all down to the Holy Spirit", I have found that the Holy Spirit will show me how to be like Jesus, but He will not make me like Jesus without first having my co-operation).

But then I realise that I already know the strategy, and it goes like this:

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.

The way that I am most likely to achieve all my goals is if I make goal #1 to love God more.

I must love God more.

Simple really.

No comments: