Thursday, 8 October 2009

Music

I spent some time today working on tracks for an instrumental/electronic album and got in quite a musical mood. So much so, that I felt compelled to buy some tunes off Amazon that I'd wanted for a while. An eclectic mix... Christina Aguilera, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Cannonball Adderley.

Music must be some kind of special blessing from God. It's just sound structured in a certain way, but it can convey so much and sound so good. I'm listening to Free Bird at the moment, and resisting the urge to crank the speakers up.

So I searched for references to music in the Bible and got 106 results. This one stood out for me; "Hear this, you kings! Listen, you rulers! I will sing to the LORD, I will sing; I will make music to the LORD, the God of Israel." - Judges 5:3. Is that the equivalent of Brian May playing on the roof of Buckingham Palace?

There is power in music, but even more power in music that is created expressly to worship God. I'd like to see a bit more diversity in this - jazz worship, dance worship (for a massive urban worship tune check out the Kingdom Skank) or maybe metal worship? Hear this, you politicians! I will shred to the LORD, I will wail; I will unleash a squealing, facemelting guitar solo to the LORD, the God of music!

No comments: