Monday, 6 July 2009

Moving House Part 5

We finally got on the internet! Yay! Now I can resume my blogging!

This is weird. Having lived in one place for aboot 16 1/2 years (more than 3/4 of my life) it's very strange to have to call somewhere else "home". I heard that moving house was the third most difficult situation to deal with in life. I'm not sure about that, but it certainly is pretty hard.

An Englishman's house is his castle, so I guess it's quite easy to react to the upheaval by building a metaphorical wall, moat and drawbridge around your house and make sure no one can invade. Personal space is very important. I can isolate myself from the new estate quite easily and create my own world with my computer and guitars (or I can now I've got curtains, at least) wherein I will feel safe and secure again.

Or I can make an effort to embrace the new community which I have invaded - say hello to people at the bus stop, smile at passers-by and keep the curtains open so I can see the street, thereby encouraging myself to adopt this place, not just this building, as my home.

Dead chuffed I managed to get "wherein" and "thereby" in the same post.

No comments: