Thursday, 1 January 2009

Happy new year!

As I was heralding the coming of 2009 last night, I was thinking about the reasons why people celebrate new year's. Since most people don't seem to enjoy being reminded that they are ageing, why do we mark the passage of another year with a special event?

Is new year's eve just an excuse for wild partying, or is there something significant about fresh starts and an "out with the old, in with the new" mentality? Basically, I'd like to know why people are so excited about it.

For me, I guess it's an opportunity to look to the future, which is exciting because I have most of my life ahead of me (hopefully) and I know that God has plans for the years to come.

I'd like to waffle on for ages about resolutions and auld lang syne and stuff but I'm absolutely shattered so I'm not sure how coherent it would be. Have a good year guys.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, an interesting one. For me I like to look back over the last year and consider all the change and progress that has been made. As I read my God diary I am always touched by how much He has done with me, for me and promised me. That is enough to make me excited about the future!

I often feel I have a huge amount to be thankful for and to celebrate and will actually jump at any chance to party and spend time with friends. Last night was no exception and I suppose New Year is as good a time as any to party.

Like you, if I had more energy and a livelier mind I could go on. However, it's probably safer just to say Happy New Year!