Sunday, 14 December 2008

Christmas shopping

I could sum up my usual Christmas shopping habits as follows:
- Don't start until midway through December
- Buy presents for family and friends, maybe 10 people in total
- Get cards from Clinton's and distribute last minute (up to a fortnight after the 25th December)
- Buy at least one "joke present", previous examples include a squeaky plastic chicken and a kit for learning how to bellydance (for a bloke).

This year, I am doing things differently. I have almost finished my shopping, helped by the fact that I am only really buying for family, with exceptions of very close friends perhaps, but I still haven't made up my mind. Either way, there will be fewer presents given out, which eliminates the joke present too. As much as I'd enjoy watching someone unwrap a box of grout again, I'm starting to see that it's not really justified.

Also, I've bought charity Christmas cards this year, and I aim to have them out by next weekend. Emphasis on aim.

I suppose that these changes are a result of trying to be more organised, less wasteful, and a better steward of money. Though there's probably still a hundred more changes I need to make. I don't want to just be a thoughtful Christian, but a radical Christian. What does radical shopping look like exactly?

4 comments:

Phil said...

A reminder of Mr D Matthias' post on the subject of radical Christmas shopping http://theroadtoelderado.blogspot.com/2008/08/simple-christmas.html

or check out Advent conspiracy http://thesimplepastor.blogspot.com/2008/12/sunday-video-advent-conspiracy.html

Phil said...

Oh and this one http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2008/11/holiday-shoppin.html

Andy said...

Cheers Phil, good stuff, and thanks for posting the video on the Hope site too - it's a cracker. No pun intended.

richard said...

Hi,

We have just added your latest post "Quite a bit: Christmas shopping" to our Shopping Directory . You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory for getting a huge base of visitors to your website and gaining a valuable backlink to your site.


Warm Regards

bestmart.info Team

http://www.bestmart.info